The local church is a group of people with common beliefs who have banded themselves together in a covenant relationship to glorify God together and to grow by seeing others come to Christ. The church is people in relationship to God and one another. However the true church has a foundation as well. We believe the Bible gives us the fundamentals of the faith. Relationships and a core belief system together unify the church in its teaching and purpose. We live in age that has very few absolutes. In a changing society, it is good to have an anchor!
WHAT WE BELIEVE
A detailed doctrinal statement may be found on the CGGC website. However this is an easy to understand overview of what we believe at Oak Grove. The Apostles Creed and other ancient expressions of faith teach the core of Christianity. The following is an understanding of those core beliefs.
- We believe the Bible is inspired by God and without error- 2 Tim. 3:16. Since we believe this we study and live out the teachings of this book!
- We believe God exists in Three persons-Father (the planner), Son (the performer) and Holy Spirit (the power giver)- Matt. 3:13-17. We worship the triune God!
- We believe the Father is the Supreme ruler of Heaven and Earth- Heb. 3:4. We trust the sovereignty of God’s working in our world.\
- We believe in Jesus Christ- Acts 4:12. This includes that He is God in the flesh, His virgin conception, sinless life, atoning death, resurrection and future return. Jesus is the center of our lives!
- We believe in the Holy Spirit who convicts, baptizes, sanctifies, counsels, comforts, and leads those who believe in Jesus for salvation- John 14:16-26. We seek to be filled with Holy Spirit and live holy God pleasing lives.
- We believe that humankind is eternally lost without Jesus- John 3:36. We want to share God’s plan of salvation with others.
- We believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ-Eph. 2:8-9. We do not believe that we earn salvation, it is a gift.
- We believe certain practices were left to us to help us connect with God and each other- Matt. 28:19-20, John 13:14,I Cor. 11. In addition to worshiping regularly, we practice believer’s baptism by immersion, the Lord’s Table (communion), and washing one another’s feet.
- We believe that Jesus will return to earth one day to rule and to judge the World and to wrap up history - Rev. 19-21.